How Does a Poor Web Hosting Service Lose You Customers?
- Personal Website Hosting: If you‘re looking for hosting for your own personal website eg. a hobby site, you might be willing to sacrifice reliability and speed for low cost, but this is about the only scenario where this is acceptable.
- Small Business Website Hosting: Most small businesses today, even if they don’t have a website, use email. For a small business to lose its website for a day would not be good but it might not be the end of the world. However, to lose important emails or have them delayed until the next day can cost more money than cheaper hosting can save in a year.
The reliability of the web hosting service is even more vital for companies that have complete setups online – many companies receive orders from their customers online, provide customers the facility to track their orders, and coordinate with their business partners such as suppliers, so that all the information is relayed quickly and efficiently to complete the loop. The net can be a remarkable tool for small online businesses, but this whole house of cards is built on the foundation of a reliable server!
- Large Business Web Hosting: To a lot of larger businesses the cost of web hosting is not a problem. The important thing to remember though is that in these circumstances the stakes are much higher if things go awry – having one anxious email user without their email is bad, but having a thousand is a career changing event!
Also, large companies need to be vigilant in safeguarding their customer account database to ensure privacy and justify their trust. So opting for the best web-hosts in the business for their operations makes sense.
- Appropriateness – Managed dedicated hosting is when you lease the server but the web hosting company is the one responsible for managing the server in terms of server uptime, patching, warranty and many other aspects. Ask for professional help to decide whether shared, co-located, or dedicated hosting is right for you.
- Support – Ensure the web hosting company has a staff of qualified system administrators. Sign up with a web hosting company with sufficient experience to run and operate a wide range of applications.
Ensure your host has data centres with all the necessary infrastructure. It is also worth checking their connectivity. Make sure they have proper security measures protecting their data centres, server or network.
- Reputation - Ensure that you fully understand and are certain about the business stability and reputation of the web hosting provider. It would be wise to sign up with a renowned web hosting provider with adequate expertise to avoid any possible problems in the future.
- Location – Very cheap hosting is often located in obscure countries, making both speed and Search Engine rankings suffer. Beware!
- Price – Although it might be an important factor in selecting a web host, don’t turn price into the main decisive factor. If you are only interested in the financial part of web hosting, there are considerable risks – low level connectivity and uptime, as well as lack of proper hosting support.